A memorial event for Lord Corbett of Castle Vale will be held at Castle Pool from 6 – 7.30pm on Thursday 24th May at Castle Pool in Farnborough Road.
Carla Belle of the Neighbourhood Partnership is asking people to send in photographs or to contact her if they have any memories of Robin Corbett that they would like to share.
Send them to: email@example.com
or call 0121 748 8189
Lord Corbett died in February, aged 78. He served as Labour MP for Erdington for 18 years between 1983 and 2001, and was made Lord Corbett of Castle Vale in 2001.
He was chair of Castle Vale’s Neighbourhood Partnership Board until his death in February this year.
Lord Corbett often made use of his high profile position to champion Castle Vale. Here is one such example from 2004, taken from Hansard,the book which records all speeches made in the Houses of Lords and Commons:
Lord Corbett: My Lords, is my noble friend aware that Castle Vale School in Erdington, my former constituency in Birmingham, which a few years ago became a specialist performing arts college, is now one of the most successful schools among many successful schools in the City of Birmingham? That has been under the inspiring leadership of Mrs Janet Putman, who has been headteacher there for about 11 years and is now to retire. Will my noble friend join me in celebrating that success and agree that inspiring leadership and commitment among the management of any school, whatever is nailed to the front gate, is the key to success?
Y.O.L.O on Callum crossing: work starts… Y.O.L.O on Callum crossing: work starts… Y.O.L.O on Callum crossing: work starts… anonymous on Callum crossing: work starts… Anonymous on Castle Vale School: changes on… Anonymous on Castle Vale School: changes on… Anonymous on College Principal to carry tor… Anonymous on Castle Vale School: changes on… Anonanon on Castle Vale School: changes on… Nemesis on Castle Vale School: changes on…
- Hardest pubs in Birmingham
- Second fatal stabbing in eight days in Erdington
- 16 year-old Erdington youth guilty of murder
- Nine-and-a-half years for Birmingham drug dealer
- Charisma the happy Agbonlahor
- Ann Holtom wins election for Tyburn
- Two in court charged with murder over Chelmsley Wood stabbing
- Third man charged with Chelmsley Wood murder
- Tezlin wins Castle Vale's Got Talent 2012: Whitney lives on
- Scrap-man horn: more angry complaints
- Vale Mail is a trading name of Headline Media (Birmingham) Ltd., (reg charity no.1126608) a company limited by guarantee, reg no. 3750566. Address: Lower Ground Floor, Topcliffe House, Hawkinge Drive, Birmingham, B35 6BT. Tel: 0121 749 1343.